We’re excited you’ve decided to apply.
Membership dues (tax-deductible in the US) start at $50 USD/year— with a dues waiver for those who have completed their undergraduate education within the last 3 years.
Follow the below 4 steps and apply today.
Evaluate if Muppies is a good fit for you.
Muppies relies on a highly-focused set of membership criterion to accept applicants as Muppies members. Please take a look at our membership criteria below.
We specifically look for professionals (at for-profit and non-profit organizations) who are leaders in their community and/or their careers and demonstrate exceptional business acumen. This means they are either currently serving in a leadership capacity, are on a leadership trajectory in their careers, or have demonstrated leadership in their personal endeavors.
Muppies is driven by the desire of our members to lift each other up and serve as ladders for one another so that the Muslim professional community can advance together. Therefore, applicants should show a strong dedication to the development and advancement of themselves, others, and the Muslim community as a whole.
Targeted Career Fields
Consulting: strategy/management consulting, economic consulting, operations consulting, communications, etc.
Entrepreneurship: entrepreneurs working with startups that either have a strong revenue/user base or demonstrate strong potential.
Finance: asset management, equity research, corporate business development, hedge funds, investment banking, private equity, sales & trading, venture capital, etc.
Industry General Management: corporate strategy, leading positions in functional areas (such as accounting, business development, marketing, operations, sales, etc).
Law: general corporate, M&A or litigation, capital markets/transaction, tax, employment, and IP & patent
Social Enterprise/Public Sector: prominent non-profit/NGO, government role, or public affairs
Technology and Product Management: strategy, product development, data science, and senior-level project management.
Healthcare: administrators and individuals advancing technology and best practices within the healthcare industry
Membership will be granted to individuals who clearly fit in the aforementioned criteria. As such, we often forgo extending membership to talented individuals who do not have a background in the niche that Muppies strives to serve.
We suggest that applicants who are currently undergraduate or graduate students apply after securing a full-time position, unless their past experience clearly fits the criteria above. We welcome prospective applications to email email@example.com with any questions before applying.
Refresh your resume.
You will be prompted to upload your resume as a part of the application. Take a few minutes to review your resume and make any necessary revisions to ensure all of your recent accomplishments are included before starting the application. It will also make the process of completing the application form itself easier and more efficient for you!
Thoroughly complete the application form before submitting it.
We read every application. We have a dedicated application committee that carefully reviews each application. Many applications are declined because they are incomplete or inaccurate, or the applicant does not come from one of the career fields above. Be thoughtful as you complete your application and again reach out to use if you have any questions.
Hear back from us.
We respond to every application. You will receive an email within four to six weeks with a response. Please feel free to reach out to us if you do not hear back within this time frame.
Questions about applying?
Who reviews my application?
Applications are read by members of the Application Committee. The Application Committee is comprised of Muppies Executive Team members, as well as current and past Muppies leaders. Committee membership rotates on an annual basis.
What does the Application Committee look for?
Muppies relies on a highly-focused set of membership criterion to accept applicants as Muppies members. We evaluate potential members on three key attributes:
- Leadership: We specifically look for professionals that are leaders in their community and/or their careers. This means they are either currently serving in a leadership capacity, are on a leadership trajectory in their career, or have demonstrated leadership in their personal endeavors.
- Service: Muppies is driven by the desire of our members to help each other and serve as ladders for one another so that the Muslim professional community can advance together. Therefore, applicants should show a strong dedication to the development and advancement of themselves, others, and the Muslim community as a whole.
- Career paths: We focus on individuals who are in business, entrepreneurship, government/nonprofit, and social enterprise. This can include health, law, or engineering professionals with business, leadership, or entrepreneurial aspirations. See question #3 below for more information.
The result of this targeted membership is that we create a community of high-achieving passionate professionals that share a common background and similar goals across the world.
Is there a list of targeted career fields?
Our members typically fall into one of the below career paths (in no particular order):
- Consulting: strategy/management consulting, economic consulting, operations consulting, etc.
- Entrepreneurship: entrepreneurs working with startups that either have a strong revenue/user base or demonstrate strong potential
- Finance: asset management, equity research, corporate business development, hedge funds, investment banking, private equity, sales & trading, venture capital, etc.
- Industry General Management: corporate strategy, leading positions in functional areas (such as accounting, business development, marketing, operations, sales, etc.)
- Social Enterprise/Public Sector: prominent non-profit/NGO, government role, or public affairs
- Technology or Product Management: strategy, product development, data science, and project management.
- Healthcare: administrators and individuals who push technological innovation and best practices within the industry
Is Muppies just for finance people?
Definitely not! In fact, finance professionals represent less than a quarter of our membership. Muppies is a group of diverse professionals in a variety of industries, including advertising, education, energy, fashion, international development, media, technology, etc.
We have members that work at Fortune-100 companies, help shape global policy at think tanks, have roles in the legislative and executive branch, and work at some of the largest global law, consulting, and finance firms. Click here to learn more about our members.
What happens after I submit my application?
- We receive it.
Once you submit your application online, it is sent to the Application Committee and you will be notified (via email) that we have received it.
- We review it.
We read every single application, and a unanimous vote must be attained for an application to be accepted. We strive to review all applications within four weeks.
- We respond.
Every applicant is notified once their application is processed and a decision is made— regardless of the outcome.
Will I be notified if I'm not accepted into membership?
Yes. As noted above, you will be notified via email once we receive your application, and you will also be notified when we process it and make a decision— regardless of the outcome.
What if I'm not currently employed?
We highly recommend applying once you’ve secured full-time employment.
If you have recently graduated from college and/or a graduate program, but are unemployed for any reason, we will evaluate your candidacy based on your prior work experience.
Should I apply if I’m currently in college or grad school?
We discourage students from applying until they have confirmed their full-time professional plans, unless they feel that their prior career experience would grant them acceptance independently.
Who should I contact if I have an admissions question?
We welcome all questions, from prospective and current applicants. You may email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why are applicants NOT accepted?
Applicants are evaluated on the above criteria, with particular attention to #2 and #3.
Common reasons to not admit an applicant include:
- Currently enrolled in school and/or the applicant’s prior career experience did not meet the application criteria.
- Incomplete application (e.g., missing resume, or prompts not thoughtfully written.
- Career experience does not meet the list of targeted fields mentioned on this page, and/or no clear leadership in an ancillary field.
- Indiscernible prospect of either a) giving to Muppies or b) gaining from Muppies.
Why does Muppies have an application?
The unique value of Muppies lies in the common ground that our members share. Muppies strives to offer a high quality of service and opportunities to our distinctive target audience.
Our application process ensures that we are able to build upon this community of high-achieving, passionate professionals who share a common background and similar goals across the world.
What happens once I am accepted into Muppies?
Once accepted, you will receive a welcome email from a Muppies team member with tips and further instructions on how to make the most of your Muppies experience. You will also receive a separate email inviting you to the Muppies membership platform, within a week of your welcome email.
What if I have a question that isn't answered here?
You are welcome to contact us at email@example.com
Questions about dues payment?
Why did Muppies start charging membership dues?
For the past 11 years, Muppies has relied on the generous support of hundreds of volunteers, and funded its operations through voluntary fundraising campaigns and donations from select sponsors.
Muppies is now entering an exciting period of growth. We have grown to over 2,800 members in 22+ countries, representing 800+ organizations, and a global community of diverse leaders.
Over the next 5 years, we will be focusing on building upon our success and we need a sustainable source of funds, which will be used to:
- Further develop our internship, professional career development, and mentorship programs.
- Sustain the organization’s long-term vision by building paid staff and bolstering our technology infrastructure.
- Support & grow new city committees across the globe.
What are the benefits of being a paid member?
- Access to a global network of 2,700+ professionals through our Mobilize platform
- Exclusive networking events, fireside chats and webinars with a community of highly accomplished influencers with member-only pricing
- Leadership development through focused events and opportunities for mentorship
- Career advancement through structured mentoring and career coaching programs
- Supporting an institution dedicated to empowering and developing Muslim professionals like you
Do you offer an alternative for those experiencing financial hardship?
We continue to rely on the generous support of volunteers and sponsors to operate Muppies, which allows us to keep Muppies’ membership dues at a much more affordable compared to other professional organizations.
If you are currently experiencing financial hardship and are unable to pay your dues, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org describing your situation and how you can contribute to Muppies, and we will promptly consider your case.
How will dues be paid? What if I don't have a credit card?
You can pay your dues via this page.
Will I get a receipt for my records and IRS tax filing purposes?
Yes, we will send a receipt promptly after your dues payment has been processed.
Do graduate students have to pay dues?
Yes. However, dues will not be charged for first 3 years after the completion of your first undergraduate degree.
What sort of financial reporting or transparency will Muppies provide with regards to the organization’s finances?
Muppies is a 501(c)(3) registered charitable organization in the United States, which requires us to maintain financial records for tax-reporting purposes. Muppies will share annual financial reports with its members.
Why should I pay dues if I don't live in a city with a Muppies local committee?
Muppies is a global organization, with a listserv that comprises of 2,800+ members. The majority of interactions between our members take place on our online Mobilize membership platform, which facilitates connections across the Muppies community. Mobilize offers city/region specific groups, industry-based groups, as well as job postings. Even if there is no local committee in your city, you can continue to engage with the broader Muppies community through Mobilize.
Are the membership dues tax deductible?
You may be able to deduct dues ($50 USD/year) as professional dues when filing your US tax returns. Donations beyond $50 USD/year are deductible as charitable contributions. We advise you to check with your accountant for your specific tax situation.
What happens if I decide not to pay dues?
You can continue to browse the public Muppies website for general information on events and other activities. However, you will no longer be able to access our Mobilize member platform. Additionally, you will not have access to our exclusive networking events or various career advancement and leadership development programs. If you decide to rejoin Muppies, you will have to reapply for membership.