Muppies Chicago: Panel Featuring Executives in Tech, Consulting, Law, Health and Leadership
On February 28, 2016, Muppies Chicago area hosted a panel discussion with several Muslim professionals of different backgrounds, including:
- Trisha Squires – Founder and CEO of Empowered, Trisha mentors and provides leadership training to executives in the concepts of strategic growth planning, development programming, masterminds groups, and leadership coaching.
- Abdel Tegridj – Chief Innovation Officer of Career Builder, Abdel is responsible for helping drive technology transformation for all of the company’s new product initiatives, identifying new business markets, and data partners for Career Builder’s existing product lines.
- Marwa Zohdy – Vice President Of Global Consulting Services for Joint Commission International, Marwa oversees the strategy and portfolio of consulting services as well as the management and development of over 130 consultants worldwide.
- Mansoor Kazi – Manager at Bain & Company, Mansoor is focused on client engagements in the Retail and Private Equity practice.
- Salman Azam – Managing Partner at Azam Chandran & Gilani LLP, Salman has counseled small and medium sized businesses for nearly a decade in corporate and transactional matters.
- Suroor Raheemullah – Head of Health & Wellness and Global Mobility at a Global Manufacturing Firm, Suroor is responsible for developing the strategy for healthcare and wellness as well as aligning talent development strategies with mobility processes across the company’s four segments and 30 operating companies.
The Muppies Chicago Area board compiled the following notable takeaways:
- Importance of grad school and several reasons to they had for attending, including:
- To get into an industry that has the highest potential for growth,
- To develop skills that will allow the person to grow and progress further in their professional career,
- Develop a strong network.
- Tips on transitioning into management roles, including:
- Working with your team and not isolating yourself,
- Not expecting others to be similar to you,
- Being personable and getting to know your coworkers.
- The importance of networking, including:
- Not sacrificing your values to improve your career path,
- Network within your company between groups to familiarize yourself with different teams,
- Never undervalue the importance of a strong network.